Lake Geraldine Dam Safety Management Plan, City of Iqaluit
Meco was retained by The City of Iqaluit to undertake four primary tasks pertaining to the Lake Geraldine Dam being Preparation of a Dam Safety Management Plan (DSMP), Preparation of an Operation, Maintenance and Surveillance (OMS), Preparation of an Emergency Response Plan (ERP), and Complete a Technical Analyses and Risk Assessment.
The structures include the North Berm (55m-long rockfill embankment with central concrete core); Central Berm (78m-long rockfill embankment with central concrete core); North Dam (13.3m-long concrete gravity structure); Spillway (15.3m-long concrete gravity structure); South Dam (39m-long concrete gravity structure); and South Berm (69m-long rockfill embankment).
The main components of the project deliverables were:
- Project Management
- Kick-off Meeting to establish schedule
- Project Management Plan
- Progress Reports
- Dam Safety Engineering Inspection
- Site Visit
- Summary Report
- Instrumentation Data Review and Analysis
- Install earth dam piezometers
- Install thermistors
- Numerical Modelling for Seepage, Stability and Temperature
- Seismic Assessment
- Structural Review of Concrete and Earthen Fill
- Undertale potential failure Modes Analysis
- Undertake Hydrotechnical modelling to determine inflow of severe floods and system capacity
Dam Safety Review (DSR) - Landrie Lake Water Utility, Nova Scotia Transportation & Infrastructure Renewal
Meco has performed Dam Safety Reviews (DSR) for the Nova Scotia Department of Transportation & Infrastructure renewal (NSTIR) at the Landrie lake Water Utility, located near Port Hawkesbury, NS.
The LLWU was designated a protected water area in 1994-95 under the Environment Act by the Department of Environment and Labour and named the Port Hawkesbury Watershed. The reservoir system consists of two embankment dams with an overflow reinforced concrete spillway.
The DSR was completed in the framework of the Canadian Dam Association Dam Safety Guidelines (CDA 2007, revised 2013), as per NB Power’s Dam Safety Management System.
Meco's services included:
- A comprehensive site inspection and physical condition assessment of performance / deficiencies.
- A review of inflow hydrology and recommendation for an Inflow Design Flood (IDF).
- Dam failure model and inundation assessment to estimate the consequences of a dam failure. Analysis is used to recommend a consequence classification for the dam.
- A review of Design and Construction, including stability, freeboard, and foundation assessment. Dam types included zoned earth fill embankment and gravity concrete spillway.
- Design and complete a geotechnical program to measure performance of internal zoning and reconstruct stability analysis based on actual phreatic zone measurement.
- A review of OM&S and Emergency Action Plans (EAP) and practices.
- A review of monitoring instrumentation and observations, including an assessment of compliance with previous recommendations.